The Naiad Voyages

Mark Austen

2021.05.25 - Trailer Guides II

Yesterday after work I set to glueing the laminations together to form the trailer guides. The glue arrived mid-afternoon and 5l (just over a gallon) of the stuff only cost £17 if you buy it from a construction merchant and not from a woodworking site and especially not from a marine site !

The first two layers were bit tricky at the corners sInce I needed to put the glue on both sides to be joined, hold the parts at the corners square using set-square and then use the (heavy) brad-nailer to pin the two layers together and also to the plywood underneath as my nails are longer than the two thickness of plywood. That is acceptable since that holds the entire thing in place on the plastic used to stop the glue from sticking the guides to the sheet of plywood on the floor.

Once the corner pieces were done it was just a case of glueing up and nailing down the rest. 

The second layer is now in place and ready for the third to be added.

Once the first four laminations were in place, completing the first guide, I placed plastic sheeting on top and then started the second guide on top of the first. Like the first layer being nailed to the plywood flooring, the nails holding together the first two layers of the second guide pinned it to the first guide. Once the second guide was completed I used the lead weights to add pressure to the glue-up and called it a day.

During a tea-break this morning I couldn't resist popping down to the workshop and checking the results.

The guides were easily prised off the plywood flooring.

The brad nails didn't penetrate that far into the flooring as you can see. That also meant that the two guides came apart easily and once I had rolled up all the pieces of plastic I used a pair of end cutters to cut off most of the protruding nails followed by a hammer to push the remaining protruding metal into the wood. I suppose that only amounted to about a millimetre or sixteenth of an inch or so but needed to be done or there would be blood everywhere each time I handled the guides. Even such a short length of sharp metal can draw blood.

So, here we are, two trailer guides ready to be offered up to the trailer and Naiad to check that I haven't messed things up too badly. I'm pretty sure that corners are not quite square but by how much remains to be seen.

Still, there's enough thickness of wood in the guides to allow some adjustment by sanding or cutting some of it away should that be required, which we shall see later on today.

But for now, tea break is over and it's time to get back to work.

The forward guide on the port side. Not bad.

Aft on the port side is too bad either.

Here is the forward guide on the starboard side. Still good here.

And finally the aft guide on the starboard side. Still go.

I don't think any adjustment is going to be necessary. The final fitting will have to wait until Naiad can be lifted off the trailer and repositioned correctly.

I think the guides are going to work well.

It is going to be necessary to make a full length support for the keel on the trailer, however, as the rollers are making indentations in the keel from the weight of the boat. I may see if I can get a laminated shoe sorted out when Naiad is lifted off the trailer.

A task for a mother day, that's for sure.