The Naiad Voyages

Mark Austen

2021.08.14 - Minor Cockpit Additions

One of the many things that has not been carried out on Naiad as yet is the replacement of the quarter-round battens that covered the joint between the cockpit locker sides and the bulkhead on the bridge-deck. I decided that today was the day to address that.

This is one of the two joins in question on the Port side.

The one on the starboard side is clearer to see due to the light. 

I had wondered for some time as to what I would use to cover these joins. Previously I had taken a square section batten, rounded off one corner and stuck them in place using a construction adhesive. These were completely destroyed when the work on the hull/bulkhead joint was done last year so I do not have these to put back in place. I didn't much like them anyway as they were a last minute thing and clumsy due to the haste.

During the slow cleaning up of the workshop I recently came across this. It's the piece of the laminated tiller that I cut off and replaced with part of the tiller that came with Naiad that had all the rope work. This, I thought, should do for the battens I require. The side shown here is in good repair...

The varnish on the other side not so but this is acceptable since I'll only need one half of the tiller for the job.

The tiller off cut was cut to approximately the correct size.

Then cut in half lengthways...

...and the better piece of the two cut in half lengthways again giving me two quarter-round battens. These were cut to the correct length after being offered up to the cockpit, sanded, hung up in the workshop and given a coat of varnish. 

The show sides already have about eight coats of varnish so I shall only give the pieces a couple of new coats since the non-show faces will only need this for weather protection, not display.

These are the two battens with two new coats of varnish.

I decided to use silicone sealant to fix the battens into the cockpit mainly because it is a good sealer and a not-so-good adhesive. I made the mistake of using an adhesive on the prior battens and these had to be destroyed in order to remove them. The other reason for the choice is that the only other sealant I have is for roofing and guttering and not only does it take ages to tack but it stays quite flexible for a considerable time, it's black and gets everywhere.

The battens were put in place with something underneath to hold them at the correct height, a small piece wood on the outside face to prevent damage to the varnish and two piece of wood resting on the protectors to hold everything in place until the sealant had thickened.

About an hour later I was able to remove the supports and the result is quite good.

Again, the light means that the starboard side is easier to see.

I'm very pleased with the result especially since I have managed to use a piece of Naiad that would have been thrown away otherwise.

Time for a cup of tea.