The Naiad Voyages

Mark Austen

2020.05.24 - Abused by Latches II

This is going to be a very short post. I fitted the second latch to the starboard cockpit locker. Photos are pretty much exactly the same as the previous post with the exception of this one:


Here you can see the completed latches, one on either side. The only part of the second one that was in any way complicated was to remember that, since the first one was offset to the stern, the second one had to be also so offset.

Apart from that, an easy job.

2020.05.23 - Abused by Latches I

One of the non-maintenance tasks I want to get done before Naiad goes back in the water is to rectify a small problem with her layout that bugs me a fair bit.


It's to do with these, the latches for the lockers under the cockpit seats. There are two, one either side and they do the job fairly well.


They were bought with the intention of being able to padlock the lockers closed, but I've never even bought locks for them and most of the time, they are not even closed.


This is the problem. When viewed from above you can see that the latch extends past the edge of the thwart and this has the unfortunate result that if you are not careful climbing in or out of the boat or just moving around in the cockpit, the latch scrapes your leg and that can be quite painful as well as bloody if you moved too quickly. The latch may have deburred edges but it can still gouge a nasty hole in your leg of you don't watch out.


So, each latch will be replaced by one of these.


It sits mostly flush with the thwart and has a latch that clips under a keeper on the inside of the locker.


Ideally, I would have liked to have put the new latch in the same place as the old.


But there's a reinforcing strut just there so the latch will have to be offset.


Like this.


Mid-way between the two strengthening struts and as close to the edge as I can manage.


The first thing to do is to cut a section out of the edge timber.


The cut off piece will be screwed to the locker and will hold the keeper.


Screwed in place.


You can see how the lid fits.


Like this. The 45 degree angle serves two purposes. Firstly to avoid sharp right angle edges and secondly, to make the lid centre more easily when I do the adjustment in a bit.


Back to the workshop and time to mark the position for the hole.


No going back now, the hole is cut.


The latch is a snug fit, it's always good to have the correct sized hole cutters.


The backing plate is bolted to the main latch body and holds the latch securely in place.



Back to Naiad for the fitting.


The keeper fitted to the section of the lid cut out before.


Ready to go...


And one side completed. Looks nice. There are a couple of things I don't like about this new arrangement, for example, water can collect in the top of the latch but nothing that I would consider worse than being abused by the original latch!

Time for a cup of tea.

2020.05.10 - Five Years Later

Today marks five years since I purchased Naiad and brought her home to Southery. I would have loved to have been able to celebrate somehow, but had to content myself with sitting in the cockpit with a cup of tea and rereading the log of her reconstruction.

I didn't stay outside too long as it was a cold day and the wind was bitter.

Still, it's the thought that counts.


This is the current list of tasks that need to be carried out, or most of them, before Naiad goes back into the water. So far I have completed four of them. Many of the tasks are painting of varnishing and will be done last, the priority tasks are the constructional ones that generate lots of sawdust and such like which you don't want on fresh paint or varnish!

2020.05.09 - Low-Profile, Side-Entry Deck Gland - Fitting Part III

The longer bolts have arrived so it is time to complete the fitting of the deck gland. Butyl tape was wrapped around the thread just by the head of the bolts to help seal the hole through the coachroof and this also served to hold the bolts in place.

The ends of the bolts sticking up on the outside were similarly wrapped as close to the coachroof as I could manage. The gasket that came with the gland was seated on the three protruding bolts followed by the gland itself.

Tina had to assist with the next bit since it required someone on the inside to turn the bolt and someone on the outside to hold the nuts in place.


The first bolt has been tightened down finger tight and the second at the back has just had the nut out on. The little grey ball next to the gland is butyl sealant.


All three bolts have been tightened up and you can just see some sealant protruding from the side of the gland. Since the coachroof has been painted with deck paint and therefore contains rough bits, I'll also put a bead of sealant around the gland, just to make sure, once the wiring has been run through the gland and checked.

2020.04.26 - Low-Profile, Side-Entry Deck Gland - Fitting Part II

Once the epoxy has hardened, three correctly sized holes are drilled in the epoxy.


These holes were drilled quite carefully using the deck gland as a reference so that they were in the correct place. If I had misaligned one or two of the holes, then I would have simply filled in the errant holes with more epoxy and drilled the correct holes once the epoxy had cured.

I had hoped that the M4 x 16mm bolts would be long enough to do the job, but alas they are too short and I am now await the arrival of M4 x 20mm which should be long enough.

Show more posts